Modern Niagara helps build and maintain the spaces where Canadians live, learn, work, and heal by meeting the mechanical, electrical, and building controls and services needs of Canada’s infrastructure. We value passion, initiative, determination, professionalism, and teamwork and we are committed to ensuring that our teams have everything they need to succeed. Health and safety are embedded in everything we do and, as a result, our award-winning safety culture has a record that’s well above industry standards.
At Modern Niagara, you will work alongside values-driven, safety-conscious, and high impact teams in a fast-paced, innovative, and collaborative environment. Here, your knowledge, skills, and excellent service will help ensure that the buildings that make up Canada’s infrastructure fulfill the needs they were set out to meet.
Modern Niagara is one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies and is a recipient of SMACNA‘s Safety Excellence Award Program (SSEAP) – Canada and the Canadian Occupational Safety (COS) Magazine’s Canada’s Best Health + Safety Culture Award and Canada’s Safest Employers Award in the Building and Construction category.
We currently have an opening for an Estimator to join our team in Calgary, AB.
The role of Estimator is to prepare accurate tender prices from the available information such as drawings, specifications and addenda or from quality of items supplied by the client. Tenders include lump sum, guaranteed maximum price format or unit rate pricing. The Estimator will be responsible to prepare, record and maintain pricing and assist the management team in the ongoing pursuit and acquisition of new work. Experience working with sheet metal, plumbing and pipefitting, including within the field will considered an asset.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performing quantity takeoffs including entry into a computerized estimating system
- Preparation, final review and submission of Bid Documents to ensure all bid requirements are met
- Assemble all elements of an estimate including labour, material, equipment and subcontractor pricing
- The ability to prepare takeoffs using drawings and documents that may be less than 100% complete
- Understand the labour variances between project types and apply appropriate correction factors
- Provide detailed labor breakdowns for each area to assist with budget creation and management of project
- Prepares budgets for prospective projects
- Attend and participate in site-visits, pre-bid meeting and post-bid meeting as required
- Participate in estimating turnover meetings with project team to assist planning and budget process
- Establish strong relationships with suppliers and sub trades to ensure sound and competitive pricing is received
- Reviewing project to develop win strategy
- Reviewing final cost report with project team and develop for historical information
- Interpret design information and have the ability to “draw-in” services and equipment in order to make for a complete system
- Timing of all duties and responsibilities as set-up by the Estimating Policy and/or reviewed during estimating meetings
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Post-secondary diploma in mechanical or construction technology or other relevant technology field OR;
- Extensive experience in a mechanical contracting trade (Eng or CET considered an asset) OR,
- Industry certification including "Certified Quantity Surveyor" and "Certified Construction Estimator", OR,
- Minimum 2 years of practical and successful experience in organizing and preparing cost estimates and proposals for construction projects within a field or office setting.
- Applicable trade experience will be considered and highly desirable
- Works effectively in team environment
- Strong understanding of specifications, construction methods and procedures
- Excellent verbal and written communication, time management and multi-tasking in order to prioritize workload and stay on top of things as project demands increase
- Self-motivated with strong willingness and ability to learn and be challenged
- Ability to calculate mathematical extensions, analyze and understand construction drawings, associated documentation, contracts, cost coding systems and work breakdown structures
- Computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Access, Project) and familiarity with a computerized estimating system an asset
- Excellent organizational and decision making/problem solving skills
- Experience in commercial and institutional projects is an asset
Live the Modern Niagara Core Values - Teamwork, Initiative, Dedication, Professionalism, Passion.
Please submit your resume today!
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
At Modern Niagara, we value the diversity of the people we hire and serve. Modern Niagara is an equal opportunity employer. If you require accommodation during the recruitment process, please advise us so that suitable accommodations can be made.